This course is offered at Surry each spring semester.
This algebra/trigonometry-based course introduces fundamental physical concepts as applied to engineering technology fields. Topics include systems of units, problem-solving methods, graphical analysis, vectors, motion, forces, Newton’s laws of motion, work, energy, power, momentum, and properties of matter. Upon completion, students should be able to apply the principles studied to applications in engineering technology fields.
Prerequisite: MAT-121 or MAT-171.
- Introduction: The Nature of Science and Physics
- Two-Dimensional Kinematics
- Dynamics: Force and Newton’s Laws of Motion
- Further Applications of Newton’s Laws: Friction, Drag, and Elasticity
- Uniform Circular Motion and Gravitation
- Work, Energy, and Energy Resources
- Linear Momentum and Collisions
- Statics and Torque
- Rotational Motion and Angular Momentum